In October, Walt Disney Television will partner with GLSEN, GLAAD, PACER, and No Bully, along with ESPN, to raise awareness around National Bullying Prevention Month. Walt Disney Television’s Choose Kindness campaign will encourage individuals and communities around the country to help put an end to bullying by choosing kindness.
Ways to Participate
October 1 – 31, 2019
Share how you choose kindness using #ChooseKindness and encourage your followers to do the same
Post photos, tweets & messages with #ChooseKindness on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
ACTIVATE ON SPIRIT DAY & UNITY DAY
October 17, 2019 – GLAAD’s SPIRIT DAY
About Spirit Day
GLAAD, one of Walt Disney Television’s nonprofit partners, encourages the public to go purple on Spirit Day to show support for LGBTQ youth and stand up against bullying.
Every October, millions of Americans join GLAAD by wearing purple on Spirit Day to take a stand against bullying and as a symbol of support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) young people. Eight out of ten LGBTQ youth report being bullied, and you can help raise awareness and take a stand for them.
- Join me and go purple for #SpiritDay on 10/17 to show your support for LGBTQ youth! #ChooseKindness
- Go purple NOW and take a stand against bullying for #SpiritDay. Stand up for LGBT youth and #ChooseKindness
- Join me in going purple for #SpiritDay on 10/17 to support LGBTQ youth. Go purple here: glaad.org/spiritday #ChooseKindness
Turn social media handles purple by changing logos, profile pictures, cover photos, etc.
October 23, 2019 – PACER’s UNITY DAY
About Unity Day
Make your color orange on Unity Day, a campaign created by PACER to show you care about safe and supportive schools. Unity Day is the day everyone can come together – in schools, communities, and online – to send one large message of support, hope, and unity to show that we are united against bullying and united for kindness, acceptance, and inclusion.
- I wear orange to support those who experience bullying. Join me to unite for kindness, acceptance, and inclusion! #ChooseKindness
- More than one in every five students experiences bullying. I wear orange to show that you are not alone. #ChooseKindness
- Today is Unity Day! I’m wearing orange to support students around the country who experience bullying. Know that you are not alone. #ChooseKindness
Turn social media handles orange by changing logos, profile pictures, cover photos, etc.
SHARE CHOOSE KINDNESS CONTENT
- PSAs starring network talent will debut on ABC, Disney Channel, and Freeform on October 1
- Throughout the month of October, the following content will also roll out across platforms:
- Choose Kindness testimonials and photos featuring talent from across Walt Disney Television
- PSA featuring Carrie Underwood in partnership with Radio Disney
- PSA featuring Ryan Seacrest
- PSA featuring Raven’s Home cast supporting Common Sense Media’s efforts to help students participate responsibly online
STAY UP TO DATE ON BULLYING PREVENTION INITIATIVES IN OCTOBER
- Twitter: @ABCBeInspired
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ABCBeInspired
- Instagram: @ABCBeInspired
ABOUT ESPN’S SHRED HATE PROGRAM
Shred Hate is a bullying prevention program from ESPN, MLB and X Games, which seeks to eliminate bullying by encouraging individuals to choose kindness. As part of the program, No Bully, a nonprofit organization that ignites student compassion to eradicate bullying and cyberbullying, is partnering with local school districts and training them how to implement the award-winning No Bully System. To date, more than 25,791 students have been impacted by the program in schools across the country, and an additional 60,000 students will be reached in the 2018-19 school year.